- This event has passed.
Something Different Gold Coast 21st February 2024 – Celebrate Chinese New Year – A Chinese Lantern Still Life – a conversation re Pro/Brush Markers and techniques for painting Chinese Dragons
February 21 @ 10:00 am - 2:00 pm AEST$88.00
Multi Media Stories – To Celebrate the Chinese New Year!
@ Eckersley’s Gold Coast Store – Labrador
There is often no reason for moving to multi-media other than the whim of the Artist – but with these Marker Pens – there are strong options for achieving texture and interesting options to lift your Artwork from the mundane to the vibrant!
With this Workshop – Artist Wyn Vogel will discuss options for a combination of Watercolour and Marker Pens – what better time to be tempted with the bright colours of the Chinese New Year and their gorgeous ‘Lanterns’ these are the inspiration – there are funky and traditional to choose from!
The structure of the paper and thread that are the basis for the construct of these Lanterns lend themselves to the being shaped with the styles on the end of the marker pen.
We will also explore the techniques for drawing and painting the amazing mythical Chinese Dragons – mixed with folklore and art!
Materials to Bring:
- 1 sheet Arches 300gsm Watercolour Paper, we will break this into half sheets for you to paint with – OR
- Some 300gsm Arches pad A3, and
- Sheet paper to try out ideas – again experimental so these can be scraps from other Work if you have them!
Marker Pens of your choice >>
Check Eckersley’s stock and choose just a few to get you started – these Promarker – Watercolours could be the go – remember you have 10% Discount from Eckersleys for materials bought for this Workshop!
- Ultramarine Blue
- Phthalo Blue
- Cadmium Yellow – Deep
- Raw Sienna
- Quinacridone Gold or Australian Red Gold (watercolours – not available in inks)
- A Magenta or Alizarin Crimson and/or Deep Cadmium Red – or similar colours
- Black Waterproof Pigment Ink – bottle
- A nib pen to work your ink onto the paper
Brushes – at least those below –
but please bring whatever you have in your kit:
- 1 x 1/2 inch Angle Shaper would be useful
At Least 1 of each brush below – more will help you:
- 1 x wide wash brush – for wet work, and
- 1 x wide wash brush – soft Goat Hair recommended – for dry work
- 1 x Squirrel Needle point or Chinese style calligraphy brush for detailed line work and layering of your colours
- 1 x old kitchen spray bottle – washed out and ready to have clean water to spray across your paints – I recommend an old ‘Windex’ Bottle of similar to give you a good spray of water.
- a 2B pencil and if you would like a rubber
- Hair dryer to dry your work between layers
- Backing board to tape your sample papers down (core board or similar from Bunnings) and tape to manage your paper – we don’t use an easel we tape the paper to the backing board so we can move the paper and tilt or turn as needed to manage your paint and water.
Paper towel to wipe up your spills – don’t forget to bring a picnic lunch and a mug – tea and coffee are provided!
** refunds will be in full if we are notified 72 hours ahead of the Dates,
** we will withhold the card fee, but refund bookings notified within 24 hours of the Workshops – however,
** if there is a no-show on the day without notification, we will not refund the ticket at that time.