- This event has passed.
Modern Botanical – Gold Coast – 24th January 2024 – Inspiration From The Flower Markets – Working with Watercolour Inks
January 24 @ 10:00 am - 2:00 pm AEST$88.00
The Subject For This Workshop – will depend on what is in season at the Markets in January 2024
Artist Wyn Vogel will bring together her favourite colours and shapes, the above image is only a sample but we will have plenty for you to choose from and we will explore the textures and tones that can be evoked by the use of Watercolour Inks – especially underpainting the shadows like you can see in this image prior to loading any watercolour paint!
If you would like to under paint – it is important to use acrylic water poof ink that will dry and stay stable when watercolour is applied – for this reason I would recommend any of the acrylic inks you will see in store – if you want to remain pure to the watercolour mantra – you can use the watercolour inks but they will mix and blend like watercolours as you layer them – so be prepared for this to happen >> check these pages for Inks from Eckersley’s Art and Craft Gold Coast
Materials to Bring:
- 1 sheet Arches 300gsm Watercolour Paper, we will break this into half sheets for you to paint with – OR
- Some 300gsm Arches pad A3, and
- Sheet paper to try out ideas – again experimental so these can be scraps from other Work if you have them!
Watercolour Paint – Watercolour Inks – colours below are suggestions only – if you have paints and inks bring them along!
- Ultramarine Blue
- Phthalo Blue
- Cadmium Yellow – Deep
- Raw Sienna
- Quinacridone Gold or Australian Red Gold (watercolours – not available in inks)
- A Magenta or Alizarin Crimson and/or Deep Cadmium Red – or similar colours
- Black Waterproof Pigment Ink – bottle
- A nib pen to work your ink onto the paper
Brushes – at least those below –
but please bring whatever you have in your kit:
- 1 x 1/2 inch Angle Shaper would be useful
At Least 1 of each brush below – more will help you:
- 1 x wide wash brush – for wet work, and
- 1 x wide wash brush – soft Goat Hair recommended – for dry work
- 1 x Squirrel Needle point or Chinese style calligraphy brush for detailed line work and layering of your colours
- 1 x old kitchen spray bottle – washed out and ready to have clean water to spray across your paints – I recommend an old ‘Windex’ Bottle of similar to give you a good spray of water.
- a 2B pencil and if you would like a rubber
- Hair dryer to dry your work between layers
- Backing board to tape your sample papers down (core board or similar from Bunnings) and tape to manage your paper – we don’t use an easel we tape the paper to the backing board so we can move the paper and tilt or turn as needed to manage your paint and water.
Paper towel to wipe up your spills – don’t forget to bring a picnic lunch and a mug – tea and coffee are provided!
** refunds will be in full if we are notified 72 hours ahead of the Dates,
** we will withhold the card fee, but refund bookings notified within 24 hours of the Workshops – however,
** if there is a no-show on the day without notification, we will not refund the ticket at that time.